It was time to make a new batch of bars today. After a rare morning excursion to a local museum, I settled into the kitchen to batch cook some bars. Nut free is always a win for school snacks! These energy dense bars are pack a lasting nutrient punch to carry the boys through the afternoon.
I use my Vitamix to grind my seeds and dried fruit at home. The Vitamix is absolutely the best kitchen investment you can make!
4 Tbsp flax seeds
6 Tbsp water
1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (chopped)
1 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup sunflower seeds (chopped)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (whole)
6 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 cup dates
1 cup dried figs
1 cup frozen organic blueberries
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 11×13 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Grind your whole flax seeds into a fine meal. Add 6 Tbsp water and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit and form a gel for 10 minutes.
- Soak 1 cup each of dates and figs in hot water.
- Chop the pumpkin seeds and 2/3 cup sunflower seeds in your blender or food processor. Add to a large bowl
- Add coconut, sesame seeds, whole sunflower seeds, salt and cinnamon to the large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Drain the dates and figs and add to the blender. Grind into a fine pulp.
- Add the flax goup to the dried fruit and pulse to combine.
- Add the flax and dried fruit mixture to the seed mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the blueberries. Work all together with clean hands.
- Spread the bar mixture into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bars are lightly golden brown.
- Cool completely and slice into bars using a sharp knife.
Freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet and store in a freezer bag until you are ready to pack in the lunchbox!
I buy my flax and sesame seeds from the bulk bin at Whole Foods. You don’t want to buy too much at a time because they go bad quickly. If you do buy in bulk, store them in the freezer.
Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dates, figs and blueberries: I buy all from Costco.
These bars were given two thumbs up by both sets of twins. Especially Annabelle who wanted to feature her new outfit! 🙂